Tuesday, 12 April 2011

THE GREAT DEPRESSION

Prozac, anyone? Elle Fanning
I just read a story in Grazia about a 24-year-old journalist who had a great job, social life and boyfriend but still suffered from depression.

It said a third of women over 18 have taken antidepressants.

Depression symptoms include not being able to get out of bed/or off the couch.

Which is kind of worrying because it sounds like my early twenties.

Lately though, I have noticed a strong link in my life between depression and fashion.

I, personally, like to label depression that feeling I get when I read Vogue, surf Net-a-Porter or see pictures of Elle Fanning, a 13-year-old actress with a wardrobe that could give Carrie Bradshaw a run for her money.

I also like to call it 'wanting stuff I can't afford'.

Like a stunning Ralph Lauren floaty shirt in today's same Grazia that costs £1,079 or the £1,143 D&G skirt.

Depression is also that feeling I get when I see amazingly hot bodies on supermodels that can get away with wearing flat shoes anytime they want when I had to wear six inch stilettos to a barbecue on Saturday just so I wouldn't be mistaken for one of the eleven-year-olds.

But that doesn't stop me from soldiering on with my obsession for all things sartorial, even though the hotter it gets, the worse it becomes.

Flip flops are enough to send me to the GP's for a Prozac prescription. If it weren't for wedges (and those small Olsen twins who always make me feel better about my height), I would be in the Priory right now working on a feature about how I had it all until the gladiator sandal came along.

It's no wonder so many industry stars end up in psychiatric facilities.

No comments: