Tuesday, 22 March 2011

NET RAGE

I don't get online shopping.

As much as I am obsessed with Net-a-Porter I have never actually kept anything I have bought.

Recent case in point: Impulse DKNY snake-skin wedges purchase.

Totally convinced myself they would be purr-fect for any occasion,  match everything I own and last me through the summer...all for under £200. Quelle bargain.

But despite being the same shoe size all my adult life, when they arrived, they were too big.

(Don't get me started on the complications of sizing charts, which btw I have noticed are different depending on the website you visit)

So I was lumbered with a heavy package I had to carry around with me after work. (Why don't they send carrier bags with shoes?)

Then the next dilemma ensued: should I opt for half a size smaller, or a full size smaller? If I get it wrong again, I will have to return them twice.

This is exactly the type of crap you have to deal with when you buy online.

They claim  it's an easy process to send things back but really they are relying on the fact that if you're too lazy to go to an actual shop, you're too lazy to return anything.

Is it really worth the ordeal? You have to be at home when they collect. What a joke, who is ever actually at home? Or you lumber them back to work or worse, go to the Post Office ( I didn't even think the Post Office still existed)

Then you have to sign in to your account for a special RMA number, contact DHL, go through an annoying automated phone system, deal with questions you don't know the answer to - 'You want to know the weight of the package? Oh right, hang on, let me just get my special scales out of my handbag!'

By the end of it, I am like, forget it, keep your wedges. Really, it's fine. I didn't even like them that much. I'll just go barefoot.

I guess I am just old-fashioned, I prefer mass crowds, changing rooms and snotty sales assistants. 

No comments: